1986-1992 – High School Athens Greece: Graduation Mark 19 10/11 (equivalent to A Levels)
1992-1998 – Athens University Medical School : Graduation mark “Excellent”
2002-2005 – PhD student in Paediatric Cardiology, Thesis title: “Infection and early vascular disease in childhood”, University College London, Institute of Child Health
14-2-2013 – PhD Kapodistriako University Athens Greece, Thesis title “The role of inflammatory and thrombotic factors in vascular disease in children with familial hypercholesterolemia”
24-3-2008 – Pediatric specialty final exams written and oral (MRCPCH 2 equivalent)
25-9-2006 – MRCPCH part 1a and 1b
31-7-2006 – PhD in Pediatric Cardiology UCL London University, Thesis title “The impact of infection in early atherosclerosis”
02-7-2001 – Teaching Diploma Accreditation, University of Teaching Athens, Greece
28-7-1998 – MBBS (excellent, distinction) Kapodistriako University of Athens, Greece
10-7-1992 – Graduation from High School, Arsakeio Athens Greece, Graduation Mark 19 10/11-excellent (Equivalent to A levels)
2014 – Certification in Congenital Heart Disease Echocardiography
2005 – UCL award trustees for completion of research project
2005 – Student prize in the 9th Spring Meeting of Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health
2003-2004 – From the Greek Heart Society (ELIKAR)
2003 – Young Investigators Award in the European Congress of Cardiology (Vienna 2003)
2001-2003 – From the Fellowship of Ministry of Health, Athens, Greece
1992-1998 – From the National Fellowship Award
2015 – Senior Lecturer/ Honorary Consultant in Fetal and Paediatric Cardiology, Evelina Children’s hospital and Kings College London
2012-2015 – Academic Clinical Lecturer in Paediatric Cardiology/SpR level in Paediatric Cardiology at Great Ormond Street Hospital and Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences.
2010-2012 – Academic Clinical Lecturer in Paediatric Cardiology (SpR level in Paediatric Cardiology, Evelina Children’s hospital, Supervisor Dr Gerald Greil) (NTN LDN/097/008/E). Full time Clinical duties
2008-2010 – Clinical fellow in Cardiac Echo and MRI at GOSH (full time clinical duties)
2006-2008 – Resident in Paediatrics and Neonatology Unit at Aglaia Kyriakou hospital Athens Greece
2001-2005 – H.Registrar in Pediatric Cardiology and Infectious Diseases Department in Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
2000-2001 – Clinical Fellow, Department of Cardiology in Hippokration Hospital Director: Professor P Toutouzas
1998-2000 – Resident in General Medicine, Cardiology and General Surgery Evangelismos Hospital of Athens and General Medical Center, Serifos
1997-1998 – House Surgeon, General Surgery to Professor AndroulakisNikaia Hospital of Athens
House Physician, Paediatrics to Professor Karpathios Aglaia Kyriakou Hospital Athens
House Physician, Medicine to Professor SfikakisLaikon Hospital Athens
House Surgeon, Gynaecology/Obstretics to Professor Aravantinos Aleksandra Hospital of Athens
2000-2003 – Fellowship of Ministry of Health, Athens, Greece
2003-2004 – Fellowship from the Hellenic Cardiological Society
2004-2005 – Fellowship of Ministry of Health, Athens, Greece
GRANTS (PI INVESTIGATOR)
1. Study of Emerging Adulthood and Cardiometabolic Health in ALSPAC: theINfluence of Growth and other Exposures (SEA CHANGE) BHF Clinical Study no. CS/15/6/31468
999,049 (co-PI, Co Applicant) awarded 25/6/2015 duration 4 years 10 months
2. Pump priming funding from Kings: “Development and validation of software for assessment of fetal vascular properties using ultrasound movie clips”.£36,983.70
3. Early life interventions to reduce childhood obesity and related metabolic disease. Strategic Award. Kings Together Grant. CoPI £67,661
5. Advanced cardiovascular assessment in pregnancy. FMF award £500,000 Chief Investigator awarded 13/12/2017
6. Toshiba sponshorship for the conduct of Advanced cardiovascular assessment in pregnancy £600,000.
7. Guy’s and St Thomas’s Charity. Fetal Cardiology Telemedicine. Award £6572,71
1. Panagiotopoulou O, Syngelaki A, Georgiopoulos G, Simpson J, Akolekar R,Shehata H, Nicolaides K, Charakida M. Metformin use in Obese mothers isAssociated with ImprovedCardiovascular Profile in the Offspring. Am J ObstetGynecol. 2020 Feb 1.
2. Garcia-Gonzalez C, Abdel-Azim S, Galeva S, Georgiopoulos G, Nicolaides KH,Charakida M. Placental function and fetal weight are associated with maternalhemodynamic indices in uncomplicated pregnancies at 35-37 weeks gestation. Am JObstet Gynecol. 2020 Jan 15.
3.Vigneswaran TV, Zidere V, Chivers S, Charakida M,Akolekar R, Simpson JM.Impact of prospective measurement of outflow tracts in the prediction ofcoarctation of the aorta. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Dec 25..
4. Chiesa ST, Charakida M, Deanfield JE. Adolescent health and futurecardiovascular disability: it’s never too early to think about prevention. EurHeart J. 2019 Dec 9.
5.Georgiopoulos G, Oikonomou D, Pateras K, Masi S, Magkas N, Delialis D, Ajdini E, Vlachou V, Stamatelopoulos K, Charakida M. A Bayesian meta-analysis on earlytobacco exposure and vascular health: From childhood to early adulthood. Eur JPrevCardiol. 2019 Nov 21:2047487319883557.
6. Simpson JM, Charakida M, Day TG. Reply. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2019
7. Chiesa ST, Charakida M, Georgiopoulos G, Dangardt F, Wade KH, Rapala A,Bhowruth DJ, Nguyen HC, Muthurangu V, Shroff R, Davey Smith G, Lawlor DA, Sattar N, Timpson NJ, Hughes AD, Deanfield JE. Determinants of Intima-Media Thickness inthe Young: The ALSPAC Study. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2019 Oct 11.
8.Jabak S, Vigneswaran TV, Charakida M, Kasapoglu T, de Jesus Cruz J, SimpsonJM, Zidere V. Initial Experience of Superb Microvascular Imaging for Key Cardiac Views in Foetal Assessment before 15 Weeks Gestation. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2019 Oct 9:1-9.
9.Vigneswaran TV, Jabak S, Syngelaki A, Charakida M, Simpson JM, Nicolaides KH,
Zidere V. Prenatal incidence of isolated right aortic arch and double aorticarch. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019 Oct 16:1-6.
10.Charakida M, Georgiopoulos G, Dangardt F, Chiesa ST, Hughes AD, Rapala A,Davey Smith G, Lawlor D, Finer N, Deanfield JE. Response to ‘Does smoking oralcohol cause early vascular damage in teenage years?’ Eur Heart J. 2019 Nov1;40(42):3497.
11.Panagiotopoulou O, Chiesa ST, Tousoulis D, Charakida M. Dyslipidaemias andcardiovascular disease: Focus on the role of PCSK9 inhibitors. Curr Med Chem.2019 Aug 27.
12. Stamatelopoulos K, Georgiopoulos G, Athanasouli F, Nikolaou PE, Lykka M,Roussou M, Gavriatopoulou M, Laina A, Trakada G, Charakida M, Delialis D,Petropoulos I, Pamboukas C, Manios E, Karakitsou M, Papamichael C, Gatsiou A,Lambrinoudaki I, Terpos E, Stellos K, Andreadou I, Dimopoulos MA, Kastritis E.Reactive Vasodilation Predicts Mortality in Primary Systemic Light-ChainAmyloidosis. Circ Res. 2019 Sep 27;125(8):744-758.
13. Day TG, Woodgate T, Knee O, Zidere V, Vigneswaran T, Charakida M, Miller O,Sharland G, Simpson J. Postnatal Outcome Following Prenatal Diagnosis ofDiscordant Atrioventricular and Ventriculoarterial Connections. PediatrCardiol. 2019 Oct;40(7):1509-1515.
14. Chiesa S, Georgiopoulos G, Charakida M. Maternal adiposity and offspringblood pressure: a call for primordial prevention strategies. Eur J PrevCardiol. 2019 Oct;26(15):1579-1580.
15. Chiriacò M, Pateras K, Virdis A, Charakida M, Kyriakopoulou D, Nannipieri M, Emdin M, Tsioufis K, Taddei S, Masi S, Georgiopoulos G. Association between bloodpressure variability, cardiovascular disease and mortality in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes ObesMetab. 2019Dec;21(12):2587-2598.
16.Dangardt F, Charakida M,Georgiopoulos G, Chiesa ST, Rapala A, Wade KH,Hughes AD, Timpson NJ, Pateras K, Finer N, Sattar N, Davey Smith G, Lawlor DA,Deanfield JE. Association between fat mass through adolescence and arterialstiffness: a population-based study from The Avon Longitudinal Study of Parentsand Children. Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2019 Jul;3(7):474-481.
17. Lloyd DFA, Pushparajah K, Simpson JM, van Amerom JFP, van Poppel MPM, Schulz A, Kainz B, Deprez M, Lohezic M, Allsop J, Mathur S, Bellsham-Revell H,Vigneswaran T, Charakida M, Miller O, Zidere V, Sharland G, Rutherford M, HajnalJV, Razavi R. Three-dimensional visualisation of the fetal heart using prenatalMRI with motion-corrected slice-volume registration: a prospective, single-centrecohort study. Lancet. 2019 Apr 20;393(10181):1619-1627.
18. Chiesa ST, Charakida M, McLoughlin E, Nguyen HC, Georgiopoulos G, Motran L,Elia Y, Marcovecchio ML, Dunger DB, Dalton RN, Daneman D, Sochett E, Mahmud FH,Deanfield JE. Elevated high-density lipoprotein in adolescents with Type 1diabetes is associated with endothelial dysfunction in the presence of systemicinflammation. Eur Heart J. 2019 Nov 14;40(43):3559-3566.
19. Day TG, Charakida M, Simpson JM. Using speckle-tracking echocardiography toassess fetal myocardial deformation: are we there yet? Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol.2019 Nov;54(5):575-581.
20. Chiesa ST, Charakida M. High-Density Lipoprotein Function and Dysfunction in Health and Disease. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2019 Apr;33(2):207-219.